¨We need to respect the oceans and take care of them as if our lives depended on it. Because they do.¨ – Sylvia Earle, founder of Mission Blue
MARINE RESEARCH AND CONSERVATION IN THE BALEARICS
THE BONNIE LASS CHARTERS TEAM ARE STRONGLY COMMITTED TO PROTECTING THE BEAUTY OF OUR SURROUNDING NATURAL ENVIRONMENT. WHEN NOT CHARTERING, WE DO WHAT WE CAN TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
The team at Bonnie Lass Charters organise annual cleanups at some of the more remote bays, only accessible by boat (e.g. Ses Cambres) to remove plastic debris washed up in the bays.
We also support Dos Manos, a community project initiated by Save the Med (click here and scroll down for more information on Dos Manos beach cleans).
Save the Med video
Previous volunteer and marine conservation work includes:
(click on years to view)
- Ibiza + Formentera Expedition: Survey with scientific team from Save the Med, data collection on the endangered white ray (aboard Cachalote)
- Shark and Mobula Ray Expedition, Isla Dragonera: Photographic and video survey with Save the Med team. Research on offshore pelagic species (including sunfish, blue shark, also devil rays)
- Isla Cabrera Marine Reserve Expedition, in conjunction with Save the Med and Alnitak: Study of pelagic marine species and turtle tagging program to better understand their biology, distribution and movement patterns: information that is deficient yet crucial to their protection.
- ¨Gent de la Mar¨: Local IB3 Gent de la Mar TV programme with Pete from Bonnie Lass Charters and Line Hadsbjerg from Cleanwave.org discussing projects to reduce plastic pollution in our seas. (link here to view)
- Isla Dragonera Marine Reserve: Ghost net clean up with Save the Med dive team (removal of fishing nets from seabed)
- North coast of Mallorca: Expedition with The Balearic Ornithological Group (GOB), making a census of the Eleonora’s Falcon along the Tramontana coast from Port de Sóller to Formentor. (189 in total. Numbers a little low as some will already left for Madagascar, a journey they make every year of some 8000 km.) Also Balearic shearwater and ospreys.
Beach clean ups at Ses Cambres in conjunction with Soller Divers
Illa Del Toro Marine Reserve Cleanup
The Bonnie Lass Charters team and Soller Divers volunteered their services to support the Dos Manos El Toro cleanup. Working together with a group of volunteers, Asociación Ondine members, Mar Balear and with the support of the local government and Port Adriano marineros, the team collected and recycled over 80kg of plastic and debris found on the shoreline and along the seabed.
Sting Ray survey, Badia de Palma marine reserve
Bonnie Lass operated as research vessel for Ondine’s team of divers and marine biologists. The objectives of the 2015 survey were to define nursery areas and habitat of the sting rays during mating season, determine movement patterns of their population, calculate the growth rate of individuals and confirm annual use and re-use of nursery area by individual rays.
Sting Ray survey, Badia de Palma marine reserve
We volunteered Bonnie Lass as a research vessel, co-ordinating with Asociación Ondine (now Save The Med) in an ongoing study of a local population of Common Stingrays in the Badia de Palma marine reserve. The project was a success and a total of 135 stingrays were caught, tagged and released back into the wild. Filming on board was David Diley of Scarlet View Media who has charted Ondine’s work in the internationally acclaimed “Ray of Light” and “Ray of Light II” documentaries.
OUR ONBOARD WATER POLICY:
In 2019 we launched a plastic free water policy on board our charter boats. We are the first day-charter company to do this in Mallorca. We use our Cool Oasis water filtration system and sterile glass bottles, like many restaurants on the island. In our 2019 summer season, we estimate we avoided using 1,700 plastic litre bottles as a result of this.
SAVE THE MED PARTNERS PROGRAM:
Bonnie Lass Charters are part of the Save The Med Partners Program (link here for more information), an initiative to help businesses in the Balearics reduce plastic waste.
CLEANWAVE REFILL CENTRE:
The Bonnie Lass Charters office is a Cleanwave refill centre (click here for full details about Cleanwave). In brief, if you have a Cleanwave bottle, you can refill it for free any time during office opening hours. There are other refill centres around the island and in Ibiza.
“HOW CAN I HELP?”
Please help us preserve Mallorca’s beautiful coastline to ensure it remains unspoiled for future generations.
For more information and a few ways to support local projects in the Balearics please visit:
Save The Med : Marine conservation in the Balearics
Amics de la Terra : Friends of the Earth Mallorca
Dos Manos : Community focused action
WaterWithoutWaste.org : For yachts that care for our oceans